Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I think I found me a project for the Summer of 2016!

I saw this on eHam, and I think I can actually do this:

http://www.eham.net/articles/34910

I would love to have a Hexbeam, and the only two thing have been keeping that dream at arm's length is a) the cost and b) a way to support it.

This article solves "b)".  The way around "a)" is to start saving and to also consider what I can sell to make up the funds.  With the solar cycle rollercoaster heading towards the dip, having a Hexbeam would be very, very nice.  I could install this in a corner of the yard and crank it down when not in use and I think that would keep my XYL satisfied.

Here's KE1Q's photo of his permanent setup:


I'm pretty sure this project is within even my meager carpentry skills. All I have to do is come up with some scratch for the antenna and mast (and a small rotator, too, I guess) and the time. The time, the time, the time ....... always the most precious commodity of them all.

Even if it doesn't come to fruition, it's still fun to plan and dream.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. Reading the article, it appears his mast is made of sections of EMT. Now, EMT is not a structural material. EMT is designed to enclose wiring and prevent it from damage. And even though rigid EMT is very heavy, the alloys it is made from are not intended to be used for structural purposes.

    While I have used ONE section of rigid EMT to successfully hold up an R7000 for over a decade at 8 feet in height, I would not recommend using EMT for holding up any antenna at a considerable height. I would not recommend it as a mast material for a tower, and certainly not multiple sections for a support mast.

    Yes, it you are lucky, and don't have bad weather, it might stay up for some time. But, when the bad storm comes, it WILL bend, and you will likely lose the expensive antenna it is supporting.

    I put up my bracketed Rohn 25 tower to 15m in height for less than $1000. It's been up for 14 years already, and I don't fear it will ever fail in any weather that can be dished out by Gwinnett county.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hex is a great antenna, and has become almost the standard antenna for hams these days. I'd personally opt for one of the commercial units, especially that guy who makes them in Florida. They are not expensive in comparison to other antennas, especially for the coverage of so many bands.

    That said, it is only a two element design, and if you have a clear site with not so much development, and either good ground or a ground system, you may get comparable performance, if not quite the f/b, from a vertical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, I've used a KIO HEX for many years. It's a "temporary" set up and uses a pulley system. The HEX is inverted and "hangs up-side-down" off a branch approx 35' high. Manual turning, but always fun! (http://wc3q.blogspot.com/p/station.html). 73, John

    ReplyDelete