Monday, July 20, 2015

Sometimes you just want to scratch your head

I went out to the Jeep today during lunchtime. Could it be that because it's 94F (34C) outside that 20 Meters was hopping? It felt like there was more activity on the air today than there was all of last week at Lake George. 

In about 20 minutes I snared the following - all on 20 Meters:

KB9ILT who was operating from SOTA peak W8V/PH-007. Google revealed to me that that's Red Spruce Knob in West Virginia.

Next I worked Bill ZF2EZ on the Cayman Islands for a 2X QRP QSO. Signals were pretty darn nice. Bill was a good 579 here in NJ when QSB stopped trying to spoil all the fun.

I finished up by working Gary KT0A who was on SOTA peak W0D/BB-094, which is a summit in the Badlands Region of South Dakota. Gary. whom I have worked from numerous peaks was 449 and I am pretty sure that's what I got in return. QSB wasn't as kind to me during this QSO as it was with the others.

The elevation here in Warren, NJ is nowhere near what it was up in the Adirondacks. And considering I was using the PAR END FEDZ, which as been a trooper of a performer for me in the past, I would have thought that I would have heard much more than I did. I am guessing it was just the flukiness of band conditions and propagation. But then, nobody ever said this stuff was logical.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment