Friday, January 16, 2015

2K Miles per Watt

I came down to the shack against my better judgement. I had this gut feeling that I might tune across something good tonight, but it's frosty down here as the temperature outside is falling like the proverbial lead balloon. The temperature at the W2LJ operating position is an uncomfortable 55F (13C). Heck when FYBO is held in a couple of weeks, there will be guys in the South and Southwest who will be operating outdoors in warmer temps!

But I digress.

I turned the KX3 on and heard Mikhail, RI1ANT in Antarctica calling CQ on 14.009 MHz. He was warbly and only about 559 - but I figured "What the heck?". I've worked him before but not QRP. I sent out my call twice and got answered - first shot!  That's 5 Watts over 10,578.9 miles according to QRZ or 2115.78 Miles per Watt.

Cool! Very cool - cooler than the temps down here!

RI1ANT courtesy of QRZ.com

After working Mikhail, I QSYed over to 30 Meters and worked Claus, CP2BT in Bolivia. I tried calling a few times on the HF9V with no success. The EDZ ended up doing the trick. I'll have to check my records, as I am not sure whether or not this was the first time for Bolivia with QRP. My gut tells me "no".

These QSOs made my night - heck, they made my day! I can go to sleep a happy camper. My gosh, it doesn't take a lot to make me happy!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:24 PM

    Larry, where is your shack that it is that cold??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,

    In the semi-finished basement. We have a gas fired, forced hot air heating system, so the furnace doesn't radiate much heat in the basement at all. So it gets very chilly down there.

    Back when I was a young sprout and was living with my parents, we had a oil fired steam radiator heating system. The basement in their house was always pleasant in the winter. That furnace generated enough residual heat to keep the basement comfortable.

    73 de Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete